Purpose and Scope

Special events in Aurora enhance and improve the quality of life for our residents. The purpose of this guide is to consolidate the guidelines, policies and by-laws used by the various departments within The Town of Aurora, The Regional Municipality of York and other related agencies pertaining to planning and hosting special events. It also includes contact information from various departments and related agencies which, depending on the event, may need to be contacted. This guide helps facilitate an effective plan and execution of a safe event.

Although this guide is comprehensive, it does not replace the essential element of planning an event which involves co-ordination with municipal staff. A guide cannot anticipate the complexity of tasks it takes to create a memorable special event while ensuring that all permits and approvals and on-site needs are met on time.

This guide is also intended to ensure consistency, convenience and safety of the event organizer and event patrons. All efforts have been made to ensure the information contained within the guide is correct at the date of publication, however, no representations or warranties, expressed or implied, are made as to the accuracy of the information presented.

This guide does not govern the scheduled yearly events created by The Town of Aurora’s Special Events division. For inquiries regarding Town of Aurora’s Special Events, please email our Special Events team.  

Discover Aurora

Aurora is a great place to hold your special event. With our many beautiful parks and updated facilities, there are a variety of venues to meet your needs.

Whether you are planning a new event or looking to grow an existing one, this guide provides information to assist you with the completion of the Event Application Form, guide you through the event planning process and give you tools to deliver a safe and successful event. As the event organizer, your role will be to stay in contact with Town departments regarding items related to your event. The guide will help you to ensure that all necessary approvals are in place in advance of your event. Early applications will allow more time for you to resolve any concerns or issues related to the proposed event.

Please read through this event guide in its entirely to fully understand all of the elements of your event and about the associated timelines and paperwork. We look forward to working with you to make your event a success!

Apply Now


To ensure everyone can participate in your event, it needs to be accessible! Please view the Government of Ontario's Planning Accessible Events guideline to learn more about how to make your event inclusive. Some considerations include the accessibility of: 

  • The Venue; 
  • Advertisement; and, 
  • Activities. 
For more information, please contact the Town of Aurora’s Accessibility Advisor at accessibility@aurora.ca.
Alcoholic Beverages and Liquor Licenses

If you wish to serve or sell alcohol at your event, you will need to adhere to both provincial and municipal requirements to ensure that you are legally permitted to serve alcohol.

Aurora’s Municipal Alcohol Policy is in place to prevent alcohol-related problems that arise from alcohol consumption within its facilities and to promote a safe, enjoyable environment for patrons of the facilities.

In addition to adhering to the municipal policies, event organizers must adhere to all Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) guidelines. The AGCO is also responsible for overseeing the administration of Special Occasion Permits (SOPs).

If there are plans to serve or sell alcoholic beverages, event organizers must apply for a Special Occasion Permit (SOP) from the Liquor Control Board of Canada (LCBO) at least 30 days before the event.

If a group other than a charity or non-profit entity applies for a Special Occasion Permit, the AGCO requires that the application contain a municipal resolution or letter from a delegated municipal authority deeming the event “municipally significant.” To obtain a letter of municipal significance, please contact the Town of Aurora Clerk's Office by email or by phone at 905-726-4768. 

Some Key Requirements in addition to the SOP: 

  • Additional insurance in the amount of $5 million is required and the Corporation of the Town of Aurora is to be named as an additional insured.
  • The SOP permit holder must notify, in writing, York Regional Police, York Region Community and Health Department, as well as Central York Fire Services 30 days prior to the event.
  • Aurora’s Building & Bylaw Services department must be notified if a tent, marquee, pavilion or tiered seating is used. See the Tent Permits section
  • The SOP certificate must be visibly posted and the permit area, clearly defined and separated from the area(s) where the SOP does not apply by a minimum 36” (0.9 metre) high partition.
  • All beverage handlers must be Smart Serve trained and the event organizer must provide copies of their certification to the Town.
Amusement Rides and Inflatables

Event organizers should be aware of the required permits, licensing and insurance when renting or operating an inflatable amusement device.

In Ontario, the procedure to follow is outlined by the Technical Standards & Safety Authority (TSSA). This section of the TSSA website outlines which inflatable devices are deemed to be an amusement device and require a permit to operate.

Contracting the installation and operation of the inflatable amusement to a reputable company is recommended. Event organizers and any designated contractors will be required to adhere to the TSSA procedures relating to inflatable amusements and devices.

If your event requires the installation of any object that penetrates the ground, a ‘locate’ must be booked and the Town must be notified at least 30 days in advance of the event.

In the case of an event using amusement rides/inflatables, the level of general liability insurance required by the contractor hired to provide the amusement rides/inflatables shall be written on an occurrence basis with coverage for any one occurrence of no less than $5 million, be endorsed to include the Corporation of the Town of Aurora as an additional insured and contain a severability and cross liability clause.

Community Partnership Grant
The community partnership grant provides temporary financial assistance to community groups and individuals within Aurora or who serve Aurora, to assist in the implementation of culture or recreation-based initiatives and to help them build capacity, further their mandate/mission, benefit the community and support the Town’s vision and/or strategic plan.

If you are in need of financial assistance to host your event, or more information, please visit the Community Partnership Grant webpage
Council Review and Approval of Outdoor Events 

Any application for an outdoor special event requiring Council review in accordance with the provisions listed below must be submitted a minimum of 120 days prior to the event date.

Applications for an event permit, excluding sporting events and tournaments, that meet the following criteria, will be referred to Council for consideration:

  • Restricts public access to the outdoor facility.
  • Requires any fencing of an outdoor facility. Please note, fencing required for an event where alcohol will be served must be approved in accordance with the Municipal Alcohol Policy.
  • Is for an event that will be held over more than one consecutive day.
  • Requires the support of Town staff or resources not currently budgeted for or available within normal operating procedures.

A Town of Aurora Facility Bookings Administrator will review the application and determine any special requirements.

Electrical Inspection

If the event is to include amusement rides/inflatables, a concert stage, food trailers, and/or large generators to provide power, an electrical inspection is required.

An Application for Electrical Inspection must be obtained from the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) who will inspect the site prior to operating the device to ensure that it is electrically safe.

If utilizing a generator for an event, proper grounding and guarding are just as important as making proper connections. All electrical installations that involve a hardwire or camlok connection to a generator must be installed by a licenced electrical contractor and inspected by ESA prior to being energized. It is the responsibility of the event organizer renting the generator to obtain a permit from the ESA for inspection in all circumstances, even if the rental company does the wiring and the grounding on the organizer’s behalf.

Request for inspection must be submitted to the ESA a minimum of 48 hours prior to the production set-up, however you must provide proof to the Town that an inspection has been arranged no less than 2 weeks prior to your event. 

Emergency Plan

It is highly recommended that the event organizer prepare an Emergency Plan for the event.

An Emergency Plan should include:

  • Two contact personnel including their cell phone numbers and how they will be contacted in case of an emergency
  • Evacuation area with an evacuation route
  • Procedures to be followed in the case of an emergency or disaster
  • Emergency services that are required in case of an emergency or disaster
  • Communication procedures made with the necessary authorities
  • Details of how volunteers and organizational staff have been prepared to handle a disaster or emergency situation
  • Details of how security will be contacted and respond to an emergency or disaster during the event

If your event includes live or recorded music of any kind, there is a requirement to pay a license fee to one or both of the following organizations.

Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN)

A SOCAN Licence grants the right to perform in public, any of the musical works in SOCAN’s repertoire. Without it, you would have to get permission from every songwriter, composer, lyricist and music publisher for every piece of music you perform. A SOCAN license is the simplest way to allow you access to virtually the world’s entire repertoire of copyright protected music.

Any music that is played at an event must be licensed by SOCAN (for example: background music, casual music, bands that play their own music, musical performances, etc.)


RE: Sound Music Licensing Company

Re:Sound is the Canadian not-for-profit music licensing company dedicated to obtaining fair compensation for artists and record companies for their performance rights. On behalf of its members, representing thousands of artists and record companies, Re:Sound licences are for recorded music for public performance, broadcast and new media.


What is the difference between SOCAN and Re:Sound?

Re: Sound represents the rights of artists and record companies (the people who created the sound recordings) while SOCAN (Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada) does the same for composers and music publishers (the people who created the compositions that are embedded in those sound recordings). Re:Sound and SOCAN are distinct organizations that represent different groups and both are required to be compensated as applicable.


Entandem was created to simplify licencing for those who require both types of music licences. Through Entandem, you'll receive both Re:Sound and SOCAN licences, with a single payment, with one organization. 

Obtain a SOCAN Licence
Obtain a Re:Sound Licence
Obtain both licences through Entandem 

Event Application Form

The first step in hosting your event outdoors in Aurora is to complete an Event Application Form. The information provided in this form will assist Town staff in providing guidance to the event organizer(s). Prior to completing this application, it is strongly suggested that the event organizer contact staff within the Community Services department to discuss the event.

The application deadline to maintain legacy rights for a repeat event is May 1 of the current year for events taking place in the following year. Applications will continue to be accepted after this date, but will be processed on a first come, first served basis.  

An Event Application Form must be submitted a minimum of 60 days prior to the proposed date of the event. Depending on the nature and scope of the event, applications may be accepted with less than 60 days notice at the discretion of the Director of Community Services. However, the Town cannot guarantee the application can be processed in time to provide approval for the event.

Once the application is approved, you will receive a permit for the space requested that will include the pertinent details for your event.

Event Infrastructure


Special event permits that have been approved to take place on Town property or in a Town facility do not include any resources. All resources required for the set-up, operation and clean-up of the event are the responsibility of the permit holder.

There is a Facility Permit Fee for indoor facilities, outdoor parks, picnic tables and waste receptacles in accordance with the Town’s Fees and Services By-Law.

Any and all additional requests for Town resources, including labour costs, shall be the sole responsibility of the permit holder and will be charged back by the Town accordingly. All costs, including but not limited to, any Town fees and charge-backs associated with resources requested of the Town are the responsibility of the permit holder.

Utilities and Equipment

The use of water and hydro will be allowed only in those areas specified by Town staff. Installation and/or use of any utilities and equipment approved for the event are the responsibility of the permit holder and are subject to inspection and approval by the Town or other agencies required by law. Installation, maintenance and costs associated with any fencing is the sole responsibility of the permit holder.


The permit holder must make arrangements for litter control, including the use of waste, grease and/or recycling containers. Regular pick-up/changing/cleaning of all waste, grease and recycling containers is required to ensure a sanitary environment, and is the responsibility of the permit holder.

The Town may provide staffing for the removal of garbage as requested, however there will be a fee for this service.


Proper planning is essential to ensure that the number of toilets and hand-washing stations are adequate for peak attendance numbers. This protects the health of those in attendance and reduces the risk of spreading disease.

The following factors should be considered when planning an event as they will have some influence on the number and type of facilities required as well as provide help in preparing the grounds and developing contingency plans:

  • Duration and layout of the event
  • Type of event
  • Type of crowds i.e. participants with special needs
  • Weather conditions
  • Whether attendance numbers are pre-determined
  • Whether food and beverages will be available
  • Whether attendees be consuming alcohol
  • Whether the event has staggered ending times


Event organizers must develop a maintenance schedule for the toilet and hand-washing stations prior to the event to ensure that facilities are cleaned and supplies replenished as needed.

Event organizers must have a contingency plan in case attendance exceeds the anticipated numbers and additional toilet and hand-washing stations are required on short notice. Such contingency plans can include pre-arranging to have the toilet company on standby, in case the toilets need to be pumped out during the event.


Toilet and hand-washing stations should be placed in strategic locations that:

  • Are easily-accessible in all areas and/or venues at the event
  • Are easily accessible for servicing and maintenance during the event
  • Have ambient lighting available in the dusk hours and placed in an open area to limit any vandalism


Wayfinding signage should be in place to communicate to the event attendees where the toilets are located. The permit holder should be on-site to assist in delivery to specific locations within the park. Try to find a location that the toilets can be chained up against such as a fence or light standard. This will reduce the likelihood of the toilets being knocked over the night before or after the event. If you find a toilet knocked over, it should remain in that position until the toilet company is able to replace it. It should never be placed upright and used once it has dried out.

The event organizer must ensure the appropriate number of washrooms are available and accessible for those with disabilities. Industry metrics on washroom use is to have one toilet per 250 people. Signage should be in place to direct people to the facilities. Lighting should be provided if the event takes place at night.

Event Promotion and Advertising

You may wish to advertise your not-for-profit event on our online Community Events Calendar. To submit your event for approval, please complete the online form. Your submission will be reviewed and posted by the Corporate Communications department.


There are additional opportunities within The Town of Aurora and the surrounding communities to promote your event, many of them at no cost. Examples of other publications to advertise in are:

Event Site Plan

The event organizer must provide The Town of Aurora Facility Bookings Administrator with a final and complete Event Site Plan 30 days prior to the event date.

The following should be included on the site plan but, are not limited to:

  • Accessible viewing area (if needed)
  • Backstage requirements
  • Buildings
  • Emergency access route(s)
  • EMS/first aid
  • Entry and exit points
  • Food vendors
  • General and accessible parking
  • Generators/transformers
  • Licensed vehicles area
  • Perimeter fencing/property lines
  • Portable toilets
  • Seating area/bleachers
  • Stage
  • Street closures
  • Surrounding streets
  • Tents/ Trailers
  • Underground pipes/wires
  • VIP/hospitality area
  • Waste management requirements
For a full list of facilities available for permitting, please visit our Facilities and Rentals page. You will find information about a variety of indoor and outdoor spaces to suit your needs. 
Facility Permits

Facility permits are needed if an event requires the use of a Town property or building. To be considered for a facility permit, a special event must provide a meaningful public benefit and must have a direct impact on one or more of the following areas:

  • Arts and heritage
  • Culture
  • Education
  • Health and wellness
  • Physical fitness
  • Enriches the character and identity of the Town
  • Creates unique or innovative experiences
  • Extends the overall range and mix of programming currently offered by the Town


Facility permit requests will be evaluated as part of the Event Application Form. Event organizers will receive a facility permit to review and sign. A deposit will be required at the time of booking to secure a reservation, and the balance of the booking fees must be paid no less than 14 days prior to the event. Permits must be signed and returned no less than 14 days prior to the event.

Facility Rental Fees
 Rental fees may vary, depending on the scope and nature of your event. 

For a list of facility rental fees, please visit our Facility Pricing page. Once your application has been received and processed, a Facility Bookings Administrator will provide you with an estimate of applicable fees, based on the Fees and Service Charges Bylaw. 

For the full fees and charges bylaw, please visit our Fees and Services Charges page

Fireworks are not typically permitted at community-based events.

Event organizers must obtain permission for an exemption from Aurora Town Council prior to issuance of a permit. Please complete a Delegation Request Form to speak to Aurora Town Council in advance of the event.

Once approval has been granted by Council, event organizers must apply for a Fireworks Permit. Permit application approval by the Central York Fire Services normally takes 5 to 7 business days. Timing is dependent on the availability of fire department staff to conduct an on-site inspection, complete the application form and other required documentation.

The Fire Prevention division will be responsible for ensuring that your application is completed before recommending approval. For more information, please contact Central York Fire Services at 905-895-9222.

You must provide proof to your Bookings Administrator that fireworks have been approved no less than 2 weeks prior to your event.

First Aid

It is the responsibility of the event organizer to provide certified first-aid service on site during the operating hours of the event through a qualified agency such as Emergency Medical Service (EMS) or a private first-response company. A confirmation letter in this regard may need to be provided in advance of the event to the Town.

Some event organizers may have their own first aid team that will be on site and as part of their emergency plan. Proof of their certification should be kept on file by the event organizer and could be requested by the Town.

Health Permits - York Region Community and Health Services

York Region Community and Health Services must be informed about events, farmers’ markets or wild game dinners that include food vendors, food preparation, personal services and/or a petting zoo. This is to ensure compliance with Ontario’s Health Protection and Promotion Act, its regulations and guidelines.

There are 3 key steps to take: 

  1. Event organizers are required to complete an Organizer Application Event Form and submit it to York Region Community and Health Services 30 days prior to the event.
  2. Event organizers are responsible for ensuring their vendors complete the Vendor Application Event Form and submit it to York Region Community and Health Services a minimum of 21 days before the event. A public health inspector will be in contact with the event organizer before the event.  
  3. Event organizers must also apply for a Refreshment Permit from The Town of Aurora for all of their food and beverage vendors. A minimum of 14 days prior to the event, the event organizer must provide the Facility Bookings Administrator permitting the event with:
    • a copy of the approval from York Region Community and Health Services
    • the vendor application forms submitted to York Region Community and Health Services .

      Town-issued Refreshment Permits must be available on site at all times and event organizers            must be prepared to show the permit to Town By-law Officers if required.

During the event, Public Health Inspectors may inspect food vendors to ensure proper food handling is being implemented and to prevent any health hazard that might result in food poisoning. Often during the inspection, immediate corrective action may be required of the vendor and/or organizer. Examples of this are providing accurate indicating thermometers, maintaining hot and cold holding temperatures of food, providing adequate supplies of potable water for cooking and handwashing.

Insurance Requirements

For your special event, the permit holder must maintain a Certificate of General Liability for the event in an amount no less than $5 million or such other amount, as may be determined by the Director of Community Services.

Automobile insurance, or any other additional insurance coverage related to the event, may be required at the discretion of the Director of Community Services.

Any insurance coverage provided by the permit holder must indicate that the Town has been added as an additional insured on the insurance policy. Evidence of this insurance must be provided to the Town a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the event date.

Prior to the event date, the permit holder must agree to indemnify and hold the Town harmless from and against any liability, loss, claims, costs and expenses, including legal fees, occasioned wholly or in part by negligence or acts of omissions by the permit holder and the permit holder’s invitees, during use of the outdoor facility.

Lotteries, Raffles, Bazaars and Games

The Town of Aurora issues Lottery Licences in accordance with provincial requirements and Town policies and procedures. Requests for lotteries include bingos, raffles, break open tickets and bazaars can be made through Access Aurora at Aurora Town Hall. All supporting documents are examined to ensure compliance with various lottery terms and conditions. Licences are only available to organizations and not individuals.

For more information on obtaining a Lottery Licence, please email Access Aurora or call 905-727-3123.

Noise By-law

Noise By-law #6381-21 regulates amplified sound and music. In Aurora, amplification is prohibited in residential areas at all times. If using amplified sound at an event as part of a permitted event approved by the Town of Aurora sound is permitted with out a permit until 7:00 PM. In all other cases, the event organizer must apply for a Noise By-Law Exemption.

The Town of Aurora notifies York Regional Police and provides the details of the event once the Noise By-Law Exemption has been granted.

The event organizer is required to provide notification to the area businesses and residences within a 300-metre radius of the site where the noise is emitted, with the dates and times of the amplified sound activities.

A Noise Exemption Permit can be obtained from The Town of Aurora’s Bylaw Services please email the team or call 905-727-1375.

Ontario Smoke Free Act

In 2017, the Province of Ontario passed new legislation that prohibits smoking on and within 20 metres of all publicly-owned playgrounds, splash pads, sports fields, tennis courts and basketball courts, including community centres and their grounds. 

Event organizers are required to enforce this policy and ensure event attendees refrain from smoking while attending their events.

York Region Tobacco Control Officers conduct inspections to ensure all enclosed workplaces and public places are smoke-free.

Open Fires

If you plan to have open flame of any kind at your event, event organizers must consult with the Town of Aurora Facility Bookings Administrator. If approved by the Town, the event organizer must apply for a Special Occasion Fire Permit from Central York Fire Services. On special occasions, the Fire Chief may permit open fires on Town property. For more information, please visit the Central York Fire Services website, or contact them at 905-895-9222.


Event organizers are responsible for ensuring that there is sufficient parking for attendees. If an event impacts Aurora parking facilities and street parking, it is advised that the organizer prepare a Parking Plan. The plan should include:

  • A review/identification of the applicable fire access routes and designated accessible parking spaces
  • The availability of surrounding streets and lots where parking may be allowed
  • The provision of volunteers on-site in the parking and non-parking areas to provide event attendees with appropriate parking information/direction related to the event

Shuttle service(s) should be arranged if off-site parking is required

Petting Zoo/Animals

Prior to arranging a petting zoo or animal show, event organizers must consult with the Town of Aurora Facility Bookings Administrator. The event will need to be approved by the Manager, Business Support and/or Manager, Facilities if the event takes place indoors, and by the Manager, Parks if the event takes place outdoors. If approved by the Town, the event organizer must comply with Petting Zoo Guidelines as outlined by York Region Community and Health Services. Event organizers are required to complete a Petting Zoo Vendor Application Form. For more information, please contact York Region Community and Health Services

Road Closures

Town of Aurora Roads

To request a temporary road closure within the Town of Aurora, please email Access Aurora or call 905-727-3123. There are different applications for different types of events, including:

In addition to the application, the following must be submitted to Access Aurora no less than 4 weeks prior to the event:

  1. The fee (if applicable) for the road closure permit
  2. Completed Hold Harmless Agreement Resident or Corporation
  3. Letter of notification to affected properties
  4. Completed Application for Town Traffic Supplies

York Region Roads

Certain roads within The Town of Aurora are under the jurisdiction of York Region. These include:

Bayview Avenue

Bloomington Road

Leslie Avenue

Portions of Yonge Street

St. John’s Sideroad

Wellington Street


Applications for large events on the road allowance, where the road will be closed, should be submitted approximately three months prior to the anticipated event date.  If the application is for a smaller event, the time requirement may be reduced to one month when absolutely necessary.

For more information about road closures on York Regional roads for special events, visit their website and scroll down to the “Special Event” section.

Submit a Road Permit Request to York Region


If large crowds are anticipated, and security is needed, and/or where alcohol is being served, event organizers may be required to provide security personnel or police officers for security, crowd control and/or traffic control.

If you are serving alcohol and/or have a large number of expected attendees, you may require police officers at your event. A paid duty officer is an off-duty police officer performing policing duties for an individual or organization other than York Regional Police.

Event organizers must contact York Regional Police to determine if paid-duty officers are required. The York Regional Police (YRP) Paid Duty Co-ordinator will determine the total number of police officers required.

You must submit your request for police assistance at least 4 weeks prior to your event. Larger events will need a longer lead time.

For more information, you may call the York Regional Police Paid Duty Office at 905-830-0303. 

If required, you must submit proof of security to the Town of Aurora a minimum of 2 weeks prior to your event. 

Security Deposit

A security deposit will be required when running an event in Aurora on Town property or that uses Town resources. The security deposit covers potential damages to Town property and/or additional staff for clean-up that may be required as a result of the event. The deposit will be refunded after a successful site audit following the event.

The security deposit may range based on the various aspects of your event. For more information, please visit our Facility Pricing page.

Temporary Sign Permits

Town of Aurora

Bag-style temporary signs are prohibited in The Town of Aurora. Banners, feather banners, mobile signs and other special event signs are regulated through a permitting process. For information on Temporary Sign Permits, please email the Bylaw Services Division or call 905-727-1375. 

York Region Sign Permits

A Road Sign Permit grants permission to place temporary signage on Regional roads. The signs need to meet size and placement requirements. Permit stickers must be placed on the top left corner of the front of the sign.

For more information about road closures on York Regional roads for special events, visit their website and scroll down to the “Temporary Road Sign Permits” section.

Submit a Road Permit Request to York Region

Tent Permits

Unless by permit, no one may erect a tent or temporary structure in a park.

A Tent Permit may be issued through the Building Services Division under the following circumstances:

  • When the tent is more than 60m2 in aggregate ground area;
  • When the tent is attached to a building, and;
  • Constructed less than 3m from other structures.

To apply for a Tent Permit, please submit an online application. For more information, please email the Building Services Division

Vehicles in Parks

To protect the general public as well as the parks for future use, the access of vehicles to park grounds is for the purposes of event set-up and take-down only and will be restricted to designated areas as approved by Aurora staff.

The event organizer must ensure that vehicle access into the park is controlled and monitored throughout the event at the designated access points, allowing entry to emergency vehicles only, during event operating hours. The conduct of vehicle operators involved before, during or after the event will fall under the responsibility of the event organizer. If an operator is operating a vehicle in any manner that Town staff deems unsafe to the public within the park, the vehicle will be banned from the premise immediately and will have to conduct their work of loading and unloading from a location outside of the park.

The Event Site Plan must include all vehicle access points and any vehicles, subject to Town approval.

Designated service vehicles such as golf carts for transporting supplies or removing garbage may be approved for use during event hours upon application to Aurora staff.

The cost to repair any damage to the park or facility will be the responsibility of the event organizer. Repair costs will be assessed and communicated to the event organizer by Aurora staff as soon as possible after the event is completed.

Staff will review the location of all services with the event organizer as part of the Event Site Plan submission.


Volunteers are the backbone of any festival or event. It is important for event organizers create a Volunteer Management Program (VMP) to ensure that enough human resources are available on all levels to ensure your event’s success and to develop their own volunteer management practices. Your VMP should include:

  • Designing volunteer roles
  • Recruiting for volunteer roles
  • Screening and intake of volunteers
  • Orientation and training of volunteers
  • Supervising and evaluating volunteers
  • Recognizing volunteers
  • Policies and procedures
  • Risk management strategies 

Local services such as Neighbourhood Network may be able to help with volunteer recruitment. 

Important Deadlines

Important Deadlines for Events
Length of Time Prior to EventRequirement
120 Days
90 Days
60 Days
30 Days
4 Weeks
21 Days
14 Days

Download a printable PDF checklist