As the Town of Aurora grows, we recognize that traffic, pedestrian safety and the safety and maintenance of roads and sidewalks are a priority for our residents. Ensuring the safety of our residents and visitors is always our top concern and we encourage anyone with issues to email Access Aurora.

Looking for specific information on road construction, road closure permits, pedestrian safety in school zones, traffic studies or sidewalk sweeping? See the navigation on the right hand side of this page. 

For commonly asked questions, see below:

To view a list of local road closures, visit our Road Closures page.

Who do I contact with concerns about road, pedestrian or traffic safety issues?
Both the Town of Aurora and York Region look after roads and traffic in Aurora. The Region is primarily responsible for traffic and road maintenance on primary roads, often referred to as major roads. These roads include most of Yonge Street (except for the portion between Orchard Heights and Henderson Drive), Bathurst Street, Wellington Street, St. John’s Sideroad, Leslie Street, Bayview Avenue and Bloomington Avenue. For issues regarding traffic, traffic signals, construction or road maintenance please contact the Region of York. To view a map of all Regional Roads please visit the Region of York online map.

The Town of Aurora Roads Division is responsible for all secondary roads, which includes a section of Yonge Street and most residential roads.

Overall, the Town is responsible for the following:

  • Crossing guards
  • Roads, curbs and guiderails
  • Road excavation permits
  • Street and road signs
  • Town-owned parking lots
  • Winter maintenance
  • Traffic safety and analysis on Town roads
I have questions about snow plowing and winter road maintenance
For detailed information on snow plowing and our service standards related to winter maintenance, please visit our Winter Maintenance Page.
I have a concern about pedestrian safety or a traffic issue on a Town road
We encourage all residents to share concerns regarding safety in our community. The Town’s Traffic Analyst regularly conducts studies and provides recommendations to Council to improve pedestrian and road safety on Town roads.

There are multiple ways for you to share your concerns. You can go online to our Traffic Concerns online forum. This online consultation is monitored by the Town’s Traffic Analyst who can provide insights on your concern and you can connect with other community members who may share the same concerns as you. Hotspots and areas of concern will be investigated.

Just want to talk to a human? No problem. We get it. Please contact Access Aurora and ask to speak with the Town’s Traffic Analyst.

What programs exist to help keep roads safe? 

Road Watch: ROAD WATCH is a community-driven program that provides citizens with a means to report aggressive or unlawful driving behaviour. Instances of speeding, unsafe lane changes, disobeying traffic lights and running stop signs are some types of behaviours that qualify for a ROAD WATCH submission. Submit an online report to Road Watch.

View the Town’s Traffic Calming Policy.

What is a Road Occupancy Permit and when do I need to obtain one?

Please visit the Road Occupancy Permits page for more details.

Are Bins and storage of materials allowed on Aurora roads?

No, bins and storage of materials are not permitted on Aurora roadways.