Water and wastewater billings are issued quarterly (four times per year) for residential accounts and bi-monthly for non-residential accounts. The bills are based on water consumed as registered on your water meter. The water meter can be read directly by the Town contractor from outside the home by touching equipment to an outdoor reading device which is connected to the meter in your basement. No adjustment to the wastewater charge is made for water which is used outside for pools, garden or lawn maintenance or washing, as this difference is averaged in our rate calculations for all consumers.

The Pre-Authorized Water Payment Plan offers you the option of worry-free payments, even if you are away for an extended period of time. To register, please complete the Pre-Authorized Water and Wastewater Payment Plan Registration Form.

Cash payment is no longer accepted for water bills at Town Facilities. Alternatively, you can pay with cash at your financial institution.

Water bills will continued to be issued and due for residential residents on a quarterly basis and commercial residents on a by-monthly basis. We ask that all residents pay these bills by the due dates to the best of their ability.  If residents are unable to do so, one time interest of 5% will be applicable and the water bill will be transferred to the property owner’s tax account for payment at a later date. Please note interest of 1.25% is applied to outstanding property tax balances on a monthly basis. 

The Town of Aurora is pleased to announce that e-billing is now available for Water/Wastewater bills. All future Water/Wastewater bills will be e-mailed directly to you. To register for this service please click the button below to complete the registration form.

Water/Wastewater E-billing Registration Form

Can I get an extension to pay my water bill?
Water bills will continue to be sent out and we ask that residents still continue to pay to the best of their ability. Water bills that are not paid will still be moved to the tax account.
Purchasing/Selling a Property

If you are selling or purchasing a property in the Town of Aurora, please complete this form:

If you are selling a property and are currently signed up for Pre-Authorized Water and Wastewater Payments, please complete this cancellation form:

If you are purchasing a property and would like to sign up for Pre-Authorized Water and Wastewater Payments, please complete the registration form:

Renting your Property

If you are a property owner and are renting your property, please complete this form:

If your current tenant is registered for Pre-Authorized Water and Wastewater payments, please have them complete the following cancellation form:

If your new tenants would like to register for Pre-Authorized Water and Wastewater Payments, please have them complete this registration form:

Detecting Water leaks
Water customers are responsible for all water used, as recorded by their water meter. This includes water lost through leaks.

Dripping or running taps are the most common causes of water waste. These should be repaired as soon as possible. In addition to dripping or running taps, there are four frequent sources of hidden water leaks that can lead to high water use.

To determine if you have a water leak, the first step is to monitor the low flow needle indicator on your water meter. It is usually a small black triangle, red needle or dial on the face of the meter, which spins around when water is flowing. The more water that is flowing, the faster the dial will spin.

When no water is being used in your home, check to see if the dial is moving even slightly. If it is, you have a hidden water leak somewhere in your home.

It is most likely that one or more of your fixtures are leaking. This water is flowing from your home directly into the sanitary sewers. Check the following four likely sources for hidden leaks.

Leaking Toilet:

A silent toilet leak pours water down the drain quietly. Water will not appear on the floor. Lift off the toilet tank lid. No water should be moving or circulating after a full flush cycle has been completed.

Pull the small hose from the top of the overflow drain stem and check for water flowing. After the flush cycle finishes, if any water continues to flow from the tank fill valve into the tank or overflow drain, you need to replace the fill valve mechanism.

Also, the tank flapper valve occasionally leaks water, requiring the fill valve to activate periodically.

Toilet Leak Test

A leaking toilet can waste a great deal of water (up to 200,000 litres per year) but can go almost unnoticed. Unlike other leaks, there is often little to no sound associated with the leak. To find out if the toilet(s) in your home are leaking, perform this simple test:

  1. Add a few drops of food colouring or a toilet leak tablet to the tank
  2. Wait 30-45 minutes
  3. Check the bowl for colour

If the colour has seeped into the bowl without flushing, there is an internal leak that needs fixing. Replace the flapper valve. Check your hardware store for correct replacement parts and helpful hints or call a plumber. 

Whole Home Leak Test

A whole home leak test can be done to check if there are any large leaks or a few smaller leaks in your home. To do this test, follow the steps below:

  1. Turn off all water-using fixtures and appliances (including small ones like water softeners and water filters)
  2. Record water meter reading
  3. Wait 15 to 30 minutes and make sure no one uses any water in this time period
  4. Record water meter reading

If the number has gone up or the dial is still moving, you may have a large leak or a couple of smaller leaks requiring further investigation and repair as soon as possible.

Flow-through furnace mounted humidifier:

Newer furnace mounted humidifiers have a drain tube connecting the bottom of the humidifier to a floor drain or nearby drain pipe. If your humidifier has this drain system, check to ensure the water flow control valve closes properly when the system is not operating. During the summer months, close the supply valve off for the season. If water is flowing when the system is not operating, the water flow control valve needs service. Check your owner’s manual or call the manufacturer for advice.

Water softener system:

If your home has a water softener system installed, this system is susceptible to significant undetected water loss. Occasionally, the backflow or backwash feature will stay open, leaving pressurized water flowing directly and quietly into the drain system, wasting massive amounts of water.

If you hear water flowing inside this system when no taps or water fixtures are operating, this may be the source of a leak. Call your maintenance contractor for services immediately. In the meantime, you may wish to open the bypass valves and isolate the water softener system from your household plumbing or unplug the unit altogether.

Outdoor water taps:

Occasionally, large water bills can occur from accidental or unauthorized use of your outdoor tap. Be sure to turn off all water hoses and sprinklers after use to avoid leaving a running hose. When not in use, close off the indoor shut-off valve to prevent such accidents.

Water consumers are responsible for all charges based on the volume of water passing through their water meter. The Town of Aurora is not responsible for any water consumed, wasted or lost that was incurred through the property owner’s water meter.

If you have concerns about any possible leaks, please contact a service professional for assistance. The Town of Aurora does not provide in-home plumbing services to detect or correct any possible leaks.

Meter Readings
The Town's meters installed in all properties register accurate water consumption and are designed to under-register water as the meter ages and wears. Eventually the meter must be replaced, which is completed by the Town at the Town's expense. The meter reading is much like the odometer in your car; we read it each time, and bill the difference from the last-billed reading.​

The meter reading captured electronically by the Town rounds down the meter reading to units of 10,000 liters, or otherwise, depending on the pipe size of the actual meter installed. Accordingly, our billings will reflect these large even measurements, despite detailed readings actually appearing on your meter. This is similar to reporting to your mechanic that your car has 76,000 km on it, when the dial shows 76,320 km. The amount unbilled at one reading will be picked up by the Town on its next reading. All billings are billed to the cubic meter.

How to read your Water Meter
Leaks can happen at any time in your home. When looking for leaks make sure there is no water running through the house. Locate your water meter in the basement and take a reading of your meter. When checking your water meter be sure to read the meter daily around the same time. Open up the flap on the top of the water meter. The last 2 digits, right of the decimal read in 10’s and 100’s.The first number to the left of the decimal is 1 Cubic Meter. Begin reading right of the decimal. For more information view the how to read the IPERL Water Meter document.
Water Meter Replacement Program

The Town will continue the water meter replacement program in 2023. This program will be carried out by WAMCO on behalf of the Town.

If your water meter is due to be replaced, you will receive notification from WAMCO regarding scheduling your meter replacement.

There is no charge for the water meter replacement.

Fees will be added to the residents water account if:

  • $30 Fee - The resident is not present at the time of the appointment.
  • $50 Fee - Contractor must perform extra work to make the meter accessible, (ex: cut drywall)
  • $30 Fee - The water meter is not accessible, behind a wall, in a very small space, in a cupboard, etc., and the work cannot be performed.

Access to the premise and to the water meter is a mandatory requirement in accordance with By-Law 3305-91, for replacement and inspection purpose.

If you have any questions, please contact the Town of Aurora at 905-727-1375 or email water@aurora.ca