To make a call for service for Aurora, Georgina or East Gwillimbury contact us at 1-877-979-7297 or 

Service Update

As of May 1, 2022, the Town of Aurora provides Wildlife Services to the Town of East Gwillimbury. If residents find a sick/injured or wild animal in distress they can contact 1-877-979-7297 or email Animal services for assistance. This new pilot program will run until October 31, 2022.

As of May 1, 2022, the Town of Aurora joined into a partnership with the Region of York to help support pro-active compliance for off-leash concerns within the York Regional Forests. If you have any off-leash concerns within the York Regional Trail system, please contact Animal Services at 1-877-979-7297 or email Animal services.

Who We Are

The Towns of Aurora, and Georgina have amalgamated their animal services and signed a four-year agreement effective January 1, 2019. This four-year pilot project is a partnership that allows the two municipalities to work together to provide a higher level of animal services and extended coverage. Officers from each municipality work together to provide animal services coverage seven-days-a-week across the two municipalities.

What We Do

Our objective is to educate and enforce all of the Town's animal related bylaws while ensuring the safety and well-being of both residents and their pets.

Animal Services Officers are responsible for the investigation of complaints filed by residents, conducting proactive patrols of public parks in the Town, and the picking up of lost, stray, and sick/ injured wild animals.

Animal Services also provides active education programs to educate and encourage responsible pet ownership. Our Animal Services Department also helps provide education to the public with our Animal of the Month and Pet awareness Posts on our social media feeds.

Animal Services will address wildlife complaints within the two municipalities provided that the injured wildlife is located on town-owned property. For wildlife issues relating to private property, residents are encouraged to contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitation facility or wildlife control expert. 

Location and Hours 

Office Location:
Joint Operations Centre, 229 Industrial Parkway North, Aurora

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (holidays excluded)

Office Location:
Joint Operations Centre, 229 Industrial Parkway North, Aurora
Joint Operation Centre hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (holidays excluded)

Animal Control Officer hours:
Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. (subject to change)

 Georgina Animal Shelter

Our shared shelter with the Town of Georgina is the Georgina Animal Shelter located at 26815 Civic Centre Road, Keswick, ON, L4P 3G1

Winter Hours of Operation (October 1 to May 31) 
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Summer Hours of Operation (June 1 to September 30) 
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Shelter Hours may vary on STAT Holidays.

Contact the Georgina Animal Shelter:

1-800-898-8606 or Email Georgina Animal Shelter

Georgina Animal Shelter and Adoption Centre

 Frequently Asked Questions

Where will my dog or cat go if it is picked up by Animal Services?

If your animal is picked up by an Animal Services Officer and there is no identification or if the owners cannot be reached, the animal will be brought to the Georgina Animal Shelter. The shelter is located at 26815 Civic Centre Road, Keswick, ON L4P 3G1 and can be contacted at 1-800-898-8606.

What is the 'Free Ride Home' program?

Each year, Animal Services Officers will give one free ride home to licensed/microchipped dogs or cats if they are found in the community. This means the animal won't have to go to the shelter. The first shelter impound fee of the calendar year of $25 is also waived for animals found at large when they come into the shelter with an up-to-date license.

Where can I buy a dog/cat license?

You can order your dog or cat license online through DocuPet or by calling DocuPet at 1-855-249-1370. You can also visit your local municipal Town Hall to purchase a pet license. At this time, the Town of Georgina does not issue cat licenses.

Who do I call if I have lost my pet or found a lost pet?

Contact us at 1-877-979-7297 or by emailing Animal Services. Provide a description of the animal with name, identifying marks, microchip number, whether it has a collar or any tags, location of where it was found or where it went missing. If possible please send in a picture of the animal. Posting notices on social media about your lost pet also helps. If you’re looking for a lost pet, ask your neighbours to assist. Also, check with the Georgina Animal Shelter at 1-800-898-8606 to report your lost pet in the event that a member of the public has brought your animal into the facility. 

Who do I call to complain about barking dogs/stray dogs/cats/poop and scoop?

Please report all concerns surrounding barking dogs, stray dogs or cats and issues surrounding failure to poop and scoop at 1-877-979-7297 or by emailing Animal services

Who do I call to report a dog/cat attack on me or my pet? 

If a dog/cat attacks or bites you or your pet, contact us at 1-877-979-7297 or by emailing Animal services.. Please note, if your dog has attacked another domestic animal or human, it is your responsibility to maintain public safety. Please keep your pet with you other arrangements have been made. 

Does my dog or cat require a municipal license tag?

Yes, dogs and cats are required by the Town’s bylaw to be licenced within the town they reside in.

Who do I call to report animal cruelty?

To report concerns about animal distress or abuse can be reported to the Ontario Animal Protection Call Centre at 1-833-926-4625.

I can no longer care for my pet, what do I do?

If you feel you are unable to care for your pet, please contact the Town of Aurora’s Animal Services and the Georgina Animal shelter for surrender inquiries. Residents will be provided with a list of rescuers to reach out to if the shelter is at capacity.

Surrendering your pet to a shelter or a rescue allows them to get the information they need on the age, breed, behavior history, vaccination status and more so they can find a good home for your pet.

If you are struggling and unable to care for your pet, please reach out to Aurora Animal Services at 1-877-979-7297 and you will be provided with a list of resources. 

I found a dead animal on Town property. Who can I call to remove it?

If you have found a dead animal on Town property (roadway, parks and boulevards) contact us at 1-877-979-7297 or by emailing Animal services.

Dead wildlife found on private property is the responsibility of the home owner. If you do not want to collect and dispose of the dead animal yourself, there are private businesses that can be hired to do this for a fee. Please contact your local Pest Control / Wildlife Removal Agency for more information. Should you decide to remove the deceased wildlife yourself, it is suggested that you:

  • wear rubber gloves or protective material
  • wear protective eye wear
  • throw away any used gloves or protective material in the garbage
  • wash your hands thoroughly after removing gloves and handling carcasses
  • disinfect any tool(s) that came into contact with the animal or animal waste

**If you ever break skin resulting in bleeding as a direct result of contact with a carcass or tools used in the movement of the carcass, or if you are ever bitten or scratched by a wild animal, cat or dog resulting in broken skin and bleeding, please contact York Region Health Connection Line at 905-895-4511. Press 1 and then 4.

Will the Town remove nuisance wildlife from my home or property?

The Town does not respond to nuisance wildlife. Residents need to follow the recommendations on the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) website or contact a wildlife removal company.

Who do I call for sick and injured wildlife on Town/Private property?

If you have found sick or injured wildlife on Town (roadways, parks and boulevards) or private property, contact Animal Services at 1-877-979-7297 or by emailing Animal services. The Towns of Aurora and Georgina remove sick/injured wildlife only. For tips on how to control nuisance wildlife visit our wildlife webpage

Did you know that it is illegal to keep wildlife in captivity unless you are operating a licensed rehabilitation centre?

If you suspect you have found orphaned wildlife please do not handle the animal or offer it any food or water. Contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitation centre in your area or Animal Services at 1-877-979-7297. To view a listing of licensed rehabilitation centres visit Ontario Wildlife Rescue.