To book an appointment to obtain a marriage licence please see the following processes below:

  • Customers seeking a marriage licence must call Access Aurora at 905-727-1375 and request an appointment with a division registrar. Limited appointments will be made available each week from Monday to Friday during regular business hours.

Please note the Town of Aurora does not provide "Notary" services to the public. For public notaries, please refer to your local yellow pages.

For additional questions in regards to these new appointment only services, please email Access Aurora at

Please allow approximately 30 minutes to process and issue the marriage licence. Both parties should fill out and sign the application form before arriving. Below is a link to the marriage application.

Link to Service Ontario Marriage License Application

To book an appointment to obtain a marriage licence call 905-727-1375.

Licence fee​​

The fee to obtain a marriage licence is $156. We accept Cash, Cheque, Interac, Visa and Mastercard.

Marriage Licence Requirements

You must be 16 years of age to apply for a marriage licence. Marriage licence applicants under 18 years of age are also required to submit a completed Consent of Parent or Guardian to Marriage form signed by both parents (or legal guardian). The Consent of Parent or Guardian to Marriage form is available through Service Ontario.


Original identification for both applicants is required. Two pieces of government issued identification must be shown for each applicant confirming name, date of birth and signature. One piece of identification MUST have a photo.

The first piece of identification must be one of the following:

  • Valid Passport
  • Valid Birth Certificate

The second piece of identification can be one of the following:

  • Valid Driver's Licence
  • Valid Ontario Photo Card
  • Canadian Citizenship Card

Identification documents are a requirement for all applicants. Documents presented in a language other than English, must be supported with a translation by an authorized translator.

Prior Marriages

Canadian Divorce

If there has been a previous marriage and the divorce was granted in Canada, you are required to bring the original Certificate of Divorce. photocopy is not acceptable.

Divorce Outside of Canada

An applicant, whose former marriage was dissolved or annulled in a jurisdiction other than Canada, must obtain authorization from the Office of the Registrar General before a marriage licence may be issued.

To obtain this authorization, the applicants or a lawyer representing the applicants, must submit:

  1. A completed and signed Marriage Licence Application.
  2. A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness).
  3. The original Certificate of Divorce or the Decree or Annulment court-certified copy in English or French. If the document is in a language other than English, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator.
  4. A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario.

Mail these four documents to The Office of the Registrar General, P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road, Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8.

Widow or widower

If either party to the marriage licence application is a widow or widower, they are not required to produce a death certificate to obtain a marriage licence.

Expiry date of marriage licence

A marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for three months from the date of issue.

Obtaining a licence when one applicant is absent

One applicant to the marriage may submit the completed application form in order to obtain a marriage licence, provided that the required original identification/documentation for the absent applicant is presented. The application must be original and signed by both parties.

Any additional questions, please contact 905-727-1375.

Related Links​