The Water and Wastewater Management division is responsible for the following:​

  • Sanitary/storm sewers, maintenance hole and laterals
  • Catch basins, ditches, watercourses and outfalls
  • Waterman's, hydrants and meters
  • Drinking water

​Water services are coordinated between The Regional Municipality of York, which provides bulk distribution of water to its nine communities, and The Town of Aurora's Operational Services department. 

Water Services

Turning water on/off
To turn the water off inside your home, locate the water shut-off valve by your water meter. Please note: The replacement of broken/leaking shut-off valves is the responsibility of homeowners.

If you require the water service to your home to be turned on or off outside of your home at the property line, please call the Infrastructure and Environmental Services Department at 905-727-1375.

Locate requests
For locate requests, please contact Ontario On call at 1-800-400-2255. Please understand The Town of Aurora does not provide locates for private property.

Pool filling from fire hydrants
The Town of Aurora does not provide this service. We recommend that homeowners
contact a water hauling contractor or use your garden hose.

Frequently Asked Questions
Where do we get our water from?
The Region of York is responsible for water supply to the Town of Aurora. The Region operates six (6) wells in the Town. The aquifer from which the Aurora wells draw is part of an extensive aquifer (known as the Yonge Street Aquifer) which is also the current water source for the Town of Newmarket and parts of the Town of East Gwillimbury. In addition to the wells in Aurora, the Region of York supplements Aurora’s water supply with water from Lake Ontario; drawing water from both the Region of Peel and the City of Toronto. It is anticipated that the Toronto and Peel supply portion will increase as demand dictates.
Why is my hot water occasionally yellow or brown in colour?
Occasionally, the natural phenomenon of iron coming out of suspension does occur inside hot water tanks, especially if the tank hasn’t been flushed out for a while. It is a common practice for hot water tanks to be flushed out once per year, due to the stagnation effect combined with induced heat which accelerates the oxidation of the natural iron and accumulates in the bottom of the tank. As the settled iron accumulation is flushed and scoured out through the bottom drain fitting of the tank, no further discoloration problems should persist.
 Why are there variations in my water pressure?
If you experience variations in your water pressure, check to ensure that the water valve by your water meter is completely turned on. Please ensure there are no sediments in the water softener by-pass and aerators in the water taps prior to calling the Infrastructure and Environmental Services Department.
How do I troubleshoot a sewer blockage or collapse?
The first indication of a sewer blockage or collapse is sewage being forced up through the basement floor drain. First, locate your cleanout access, which is a capped access to the sanitary lateral normally located in the basement by the front foundation wall, and determine by removing the cap, if sewage is being forced up at this location. If there is no sewage at the capped access, then the problem is located within the internal plumbing. If there is sewage, then the problem is located outside the foundation wall. Call either a private plumber or the Infrastructure and Environmental Services Department at 905- 727-1375 if the problem is located outside the foundation wall. Please note: The Town does not provide service if the problem is located inside the building/home.
Who is responsible for a sewer blockage or collapse?
On private property, the property owner is responsible for the repairs, including any and all services rendered by the Town. On Town property, responsibility is determined separately as you are responsible for any material entering the Town’s sanitary sewer from your property. Normal sewage includes wastewater and biological solids. Other materials such as diapers and hygiene products can cause blockages and must be disposed of separately. Responsibility for a blockage or collapse due to tree roots will be determined separately.
Related information