Contact Information: 905-726-4700 |

Consent and Minor Variance applications may be submitted to the Secretary-Treasurer through our online Portal. In order to access the portal, you must register as a user click on the register with Portal to create your account.

Town of Aurora, Attn: Planning Department

100 John West Way

Aurora, ON  L4G 6J1

Alternatively, the cheque may be placed in the Treasury slot, located by the main entrance of the Town Hall.

*Please be sure to indicate what the cheque is for (e.g., Fee for minor variance application for 12 Jones St).

To view the meeting live stream, please visit the Town of Aurora’s YouTube Channel.

You may express your views about any application, for consideration by the Committee, in the following ways:

  1. Participate in the electronic meeting as a live delegate (by phone or video); and/or
  2. Provide written comments.

NOTE: If you would like to participate in the electronic meeting as a live delegate, please send a Delegation Request to the Secretary-Treasurer. Requests must be provided no later than two (2) business days before the scheduled meeting.

Committee of Adjustment Delegation Request Form 

Written comments must be received by noon on the day of the meeting.

If you would like to be notified of the decision, please use the Request for Further Notice Form to submit your details.

If you have any questions, please contact the Secretary-Treasurer via email or at 905-726-4711.

The Ontario Planning Act establishes the authority for the Committee of Adjustment to make decisions on minor variances, permissions and consents on property submitted by the applicant and/or their agent. The Committee of Adjustment is a committee appointed by Council comprised of five Town of Aurora residents that meet on a monthly basis.

What kinds of things does the Committee have the power to grant?

A Minor Variance is a proposed change to a property, which does not conform to the Zoning By-law.

A minor variance approval allows the property owner to obtain a building permit even though their property does not comply precisely with the zoning bylaw. Under section 45(1) of the Planning Act there are four tests that a minor variance must meet:

  • Is the application minor?
  • Is the application desirable for the appropriate development of the lands in question?
  • Does the application conform to the general intent of the Zoning By-law?
  • Does the application conform to the general intent of the Official Plan?

Permission allows the applicant to enlarge a building or structure, or may permit similar or more compatible use where land, buildings or structures have been lawfully used for a purpose now prohibited by the Zoning By-law.

Consent enables the applicant to enter transactions relating to the subdivision of land. These transactions can include the creation of a new lot; leases over 21 years; mortgage or partial discharge of a mortgage; foreclosure or exercise of power of sale; rights-of-ways and easements over 21 years; lot adjustments and extensions; and corrections to deeds or property descriptions.

How to apply for a Minor Variance, Permission or Consent on a property

Anyone considering applying for a minor variance, permission or consent application can pick up the application form at Town Hall (or download the application form for ​Minor Variance or Consent).

The applicant must contact the Building Services division prior to submitting an application to obtain the proper Zoning By-law requirements and undertake a Preliminary Zoning Review.

pre-consultation with planning staff is recommended prior to submitting to determine if an application conforms to the Official Plan and/or severance policies of the Town of Aurora. Failure to follow this procedure may result in the application being delayed due to improper information being submitted. The pre-consultation also acts as an opportunity for the applicant to ask questions about the Committee of Adjustment process.

How the Committee of Adjustment arrives at its decisions

In making its decision, the Committee will conduct a public hearing. Prior to a hearing, a notice of application is mailed out to all "Registered Owners" of land within a 120-meter radius of the subject property and to notify prescribed public agencies, registered ratepayers, and Town departments.

All interested parties are invited to either attend the public hearing and/or submit in writing their views and concerns. Following the hearing, a notification of the Committee's decision is prepared and mailed to the owner, agent, all interested parties and agencies advising of the decision. There is a 20-day appeal period following the date of decision, whereby an appeal can be made by the applicant/agent, or by any other person or public body who has an interest in the matter, to the Ontario Land Tribunal (OLT). Once the appeal period has expired and any/all conditions have been satisfied by the owner/agent, the application is final.

Committee of Adjustment 2022-2026

Citizen Members

  • David Mhango (Chair)
  • Jane Stevenson (Vice Chair)
  • Julian Yang 
  • Michael Visconti
  • Christopher Polsinelli

Terms of Reference


Application Pamphlets​

Application Forms

2024 Committee of Adjustment Applications/Fees effective January 2, 2024

Relat​ed Links