Aurora’s Fence Bylaw 6429-22 provides regulations on fencing, types of fences permitted, height, cost-sharing, materials used, variances and pool enclosures.

Please find some frequently asked questions to help you better understand the fence By-law.


I want to build a fence. Do I need a permit?

A permit is not required to build or replace your fence unless you are installing a pool. If you are installing a pool, you must contact the building department to obtain a permit.

All residents are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the fence bylaw to ensure you are in compliance.

How high can the fence be on the sides and in the backyard? 

The maximum height of a fence/hedge/shrub or other vegetation that acts as a fence is 2.0 meters, this includes, trim, lattice caps or any other decorative material.

How high can a fence be in a front yard?

Maximum height of a fence/hedge/shrub or other vegetation that acts as a fence is 1.2 meters.  

Where can I erect a fence?

You can place the fence on the property line.

Should adjoining property owners share in the cost of a divisional fence?

We suggest that property owners share in the cost of a fence, however this is only a suggestion. The Town of Aurora does not enforce cost sharing as this is strictly a civil issue between property owners.

What types of materials can be used as fences and privacy screens within the By-law?

Fence types can be made of wood, chain-link, shrubs and hedges.

Does the Fence By-law pertain to swimming pool enclosures?

No. If a pool is being installed, you will require a pool enclosure permit prior to the work starting.  You can contact the building department.

How do I request a variance?

For a fence variance without pool, please email Bylaw Services or call 905-727-3123 to speak with someone about your request.

For a pool enclosure fence please email CBO at

Who should I contact if I have any questions? 

If you have any questions, please email Bylaw Services or call 905-727-3123.