​​​​​​​​You can apply for a marriage licence at Aurora Town Hall. Marriage licences​ are available on a first-come, first-serve basis, Tuesday to Thursday from 10 a.m. to 3​ p.m. Applicants are encouraged to call ahead to determine the availability of marriage licence registrar staff. Please allow 30 to 50 minutes to process and issue the marriage licence.

Licence fee​​

$138​ – we accept cash, cheque and Interac only.


You must be at least 18 years of age. Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age are required to submit a completed Consent of Parent or Guardian to Marriage form signed by both parents (or legal guardian) when making application for a marriage licence. The Consent of Parent or Guardian to Marriage form is available at the Aurora Town Hall


Original Identification for both applicants is required. Two pieces of identification must be shown for each party confirming name, birth date and signature.

The first piece of identification must be one of the following:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Current Passport
  • Record of Immigrant Landing
  • Canadian Citizenship Card

The second piece of identification must be photo identification, which can be one of the following:

  • Driver's Licence
  • Ontario Health Card with photo
  • Passport with photo (providing it is not used as the first piece of identification)

These documents are required for all applicants. Documents presented in a language other than English, must be supported by a translation by an authorized translator.

Prior Marriages

Canadian Divorce

If there has been a previous marriage and the divorce was granted in Canada, you are required to bring the original Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute, or a court certified true copy of same. Please note that a photocopy is not acceptable. Also a Divorce Judgment, Divorce Order or Decree Nisi issued by the Court is not acceptable. All documents will be returned.

Divorce Outside of Canada

An applicant, whose former marriage was dissolved or annulled in a jurisdiction other than Canada, must obtain authorization from the Office of the Registrar General before a marriage licence may be issued.

To obtain this authorization, the applicants or a lawyer representing the applicants, must submit:

  1. A completed Marriage Licence Application.

  2. A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both parties of this marriage. Blank affidavits are available at the Town.

  3. The original Certificate of Divorce or the Decree Absolute or a court-certified copy of same. If the decree is in a language other than English or French, include a translated copy together with an affidavit sworn by the translator (A court-certified copy means certified by the proper court officer in the jurisdiction the divorce or annulment was granted).

  4. A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario.

Mail these four documents to The Office of the Registrar General, P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road, Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8

Widow or widower

If either party to the marriage licence application is a widow or widower, they are not required to produce a death certificate to obtain a marriage licence.

Expiry date of marriage licence

A marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for three months from the date of issue.

Obtaining a licence when one applicant is absent

One applicant to the marriage may submit the completed application form to the Customer & Legislative Services Department in order to obtain a Marriage Licence, provided that the required original identification/documentation for the absent party is presented. The application must be original and signed by both applicants.

Should you have any questions, please contact our office at 905-727-1375.

Related Links

A to Z Services: