Celebrate the Joint Operations Centre’s Grand Opening
Take a tour and explore the 63,000 square-foot building including an innovative greenhouse.
Click on the image below for details of the event.
On August 12, 2014 Aurora Town Council approved the construction of a new Joint Operations Centre at 229 Industrial Parkway North.
The Joint Operations Centre project focuses on site development (earth works and servicing) for a 4.5 hectare (11 acre) site and facility construction of a 4,450 sq. m (80,000 sq. ft.) facility at 229 Industrial Parkway North to support municipal operations for the Town's roads, water, sewer, parks, facilities and fleet divisions.
The Joint Operations Centre will support current and future operations for The Town of Aurora through to and beyond the Town's planned build out to 2030 providing services for over 70,000 residents.
The following are the important services this new centre will support and the value these services offer to our community.
Our Operational Services
- Parks design, construction and maintenance
- Pedestrian trails
- Sports field design, construction and maintenance (baseball, soccer and artificial turf)
- Hard surface/court design, construction and maintenance (basketball and tennis)
- Playground construction and maintenance
- Natural Heritage Area protection
- Greenhouse and beautification program
- Winter road, parking lot, sidewalk and pathway maintenance
- Road and boulevard maintenance
- Traffic management programs
- Water distribution and sanitary sewer collection
- Solid waste management
- Snow disposal
- Facility design, construction, maintenance and operations
- Fleet procurement, maintenance and disposal
- Emergency management and operations
Value for our Community: Quality of Life and Safety for Our Residents and Visitors
- 25 km of trails
- 700 acres of parks and open spaces
- 35 parks
- 404 km of paved lanes and 182 km of sidewalks
- 17 baseball diamonds
- 29 soccer fields
- 11 tennis courts
- 35 playground structures
- Safe, clean water tested 17 times per week, 884 times per year
- Over 500,000 sq. ft. of facility space including five arenas, pools, Seniors' Centre, Town Hall, cultural centre, community theatre, meeting spaces, library, fire halls and operations centre
Targeting LEED Gold Certification
On October 23, 2012, Town of Aurora Mayor and Council approved commencing the design of the Joint Operations Centre targeting a LEED Gold Certification. The Joint Operations Centre project will be the first building of its kind in The Town of Aurora's history.
The new Aurora Joint Operations Centre will include the following green design considerations to create a healthy and efficient working environment while decreasing energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Locally-sourced products and natural materials
- Low-volatile organic compound (VOC) products
- Installation of solar panels
- Green houses to grow plant materials for use within Town
- Rain water harvesting used in green houses and for vehicle and equipment wash bay
- Green roofs
- White roofs reducing heat retention and the "heat island" effect
- Windows to capture natural light and provide views to natural spaces
- Operable windows for fresh air
- Interior and exterior LED lighting systems
- Water conservation low-flow hands-free plumbing fixtures
- Tree harvesting
- High efficiency heating and cooling systems
- Fresh air ventilation systems
- Building automation and control system
- Motion sensor lighting control
- Drought resistant plantings
- Pervious concrete drainage systems to control storm water
- Carpool designated parking
- Electronic vehicle charging stations