Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ'S)

Property Tax and Utility Bills

Can I pay my property taxes and water bill online?

Residents and businesses can continue to pay their tax and water bills online through their financial institution’s online banking*. You can mail in cheques or place them in the secure drop box at Town Hall which is located outside the front doors.

*For paying property taxes, the payee name is Aurora Taxes and your account number is your 19 digit property roll number with no spaces or decimals and can be found in the upper left corner of your property tax bill.

*For paying your water account your payee name is Aurora Water and your account number is the 10 digit number which is located in the upper left corner of your water bill.

 Can I get an extension to pay my property taxes or water bill?

The Town of Aurora has supported residents and businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic by providing additional property tax relief measures for the 2020 property tax installations. At this time, all deadlines to apply for relief measures have passed.

Please contact our tax department with any questions.

Water bills will continue to be sent out and we ask that residents still continue to pay to the best of their ability. Water bills that are not paid at the due date will still be moved to the property tax account.

Please contact our water department with any questions.

Can businesses defer their tax payments during the COVID-19 crisis?

The Town of Aurora has supported residents and businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic by providing additional property tax relief measures for the 2020 property tax installations. At this time, all deadlines to apply for relief measures have passed.

Please contact our tax department with any questions.

Water bills will continue to be sent out and we ask that residents still continue to pay to the best of their ability. Water bills that are not paid at the due date will still be moved to the property tax account.

Please contact our water department with any questions.

Will there be penalties on my Tax bill?

Penalties on taxes will be temporarily suspended until Tuesday, June 30, 2020. 

Can I order a Tax and Water Certificate?

Tax certificate requests along with the cheque should be mailed to the attention of Access Aurora at 100 John West Way, Aurora, Ontario, L4G6J1 or placed in the secure drop box at Town Hall. For more information email or call 905-727-1375.

Business and Community Support

Is there any additional support for businesses?

The Town of Aurora in partnership with the Aurora Chamber of Commerce has created a specialized task force to help support the local economy and provide assistance to small businesses in Aurora. The Aurora Business Continuity Task Force will bring together business professionals with global, national and local experience to help find creative ways to assist Aurora’s small businesses.

For more information visit our Aurora Business Continuity Task Force page or contact the Aurora Chamber of Commerce for more information.

 Is there any Community Support I can access?

The Town of Aurora recognizes the significant impact that the global health crisis COVID-19 has on our community. Community leaders in Aurora have come together to form the Aurora Cares Community Action Team. This team will assess the emerging needs of the most vulnerable and at risk in our community. The goal is to help fill in the gaps where needed and add to what is already being provided by the provincial and federal government. For more information on the Aurora Cares Community Action Team visit our webpage.

The Town of Aurora has put together a list of external agencies that may be available to provide support to members of the community during the current COVID-19 State of Emergency.
Click here to view the community resource list.

How can I volunteer or support our community during the COVID-19 Pandemic?

If you would like to volunteer or support our community please contact Neighbourhood Network at 905-726-3737 or visit the Neighbourhood Network webpage for a list of community needs.

Customer Service (Access Aurora)

 Can I obtain a Marriage Licence?
The Town of Aurora will resume issuing marriage licences. This service will be offered on an appointment basis only. Limited appointments for marriage licences will be made available each week from Monday to Friday during regular business hours.

To book an appointment to obtain a marriage licence please contact Access Aurora at
905-727-1375 or email

 Can I get a document Commissioned?

The Town of Aurora will assist customers seeking the commissioning of documents by appointment only. Please call Access Aurora at 905-727-1375 to request a commission appointment. Commission appointments will be available on Tuesdays and Thursdays during regular business hours.

Please note the Town of Aurora does not provide “Notary” services to the public. For public notaries, please refer to your local yellow pages.

To book an appointment for a commission appointment please contact Access Aurora at
905-727-1375 or email Access Aurora.

 Recreation, Arts, Culture and Events  

 Will I be refunded for cancelled programs, camps and permits due to COVID-19?
Refunds will be issued for all cancellations resulting from facilities closures and memberships will be placed on hold until full services resume. Participants who paid by credit card will automatically be refunded to the same credit card.  If you paid by another method (cash, debit, cheque) you will be contacted and offered the choice of a credit to your account or a refund by cheque. Any applicable refund fees will be waived. 
 What will happen to my Club Aurora membership?
All Club Aurora memberships will be placed on hold until full services can resume. 
For more information visit our Fitness Centre page.
Are Aquatics Programs still running?

The Town of Aurora has reopened many of our Aquatics programs. For information on our programs or to learn more about our new procedures visit our Aquatics page.

 What is the status of Town Events?
For information on upcoming virtual and in-person Town events visit our Special Events page.
 What is the status of Town permits and rentals?

Through coordination with National/Provincial/Local Sport Organizations, Public Health and Chief Medical Officer Guidelines, staff continue to consider restarting services by evaluating the ability to provide a safe and healthy environment, user needs and capacity to provide services. 

New sign-in/screening protocols and sanitization cleaning standards have also been developed and will be in place with each new amenity or program reopening. These new protocols/standards also impact the amount of time that is available for use, for each facility. Staff are working diligently to accommodate as many facility rental requests as possible, in a timely manner.

Due to the high volume of requests and the impacts of COVID-19 on our facility rental procedures and availability, please be advised of the following:

  • At this time we are at full capacity for arena rentals and are unable to accept any new requests.
  • For sports field and park use permits, please provide a minimum of 1 week notice for any permit requests.
  • All meeting rooms, indoor event spaces and the gymnasium are being utilized exclusively for Town programming at this time, and therefore we are not accepting any rental requests at this time.
  • We are unable to accept any Pool Birthday Party bookings until further notice.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We appreciate that everyone is eager to return to regular activities, and we will continue to monitor and communicate updates as necessary. Please monitor the Town’s website for further information

For more information please email the bookings team

Playgrounds, Park Amenities, Trails, Sport Fields, Dog Park and Recreational Amenities

What facilities are closed?

The following facilities are closed to the general public, however many of these facilities are running programs and amenities by pre-registration or appointment only.  For a full listing of what facilities are open and closed to the public please visit our Reopening Aurora Page.

  • Aurora Town Hall
  • Joint Operations Centre (JOC)
  • Aurora's Senior Centre
  • Aurora Public Library
  • Stronach Aurora Recreation Complex (SARC)
  • Aurora Community Centre (AAC)
  • Aurora Family Leisure Complex (AFLC)
  • Aurora Museum and Cultural Centre
What Recreation facilities are open?

The Town of Aurora has started to slowly to reopen our facilities and have added additional programs and amenities available for use. For a full listing of what facilities are open and closed to the public please visit our Reopening Aurora Page.

 Can I use the trails in Aurora?

Yes. The Town of Aurora trails are open for use. Please practice physical distancing when using Aurora’s trails. Sheppard’s Bush has reopened with restrictions, please visit Lake Simcoe Regional Conservation Authority for more details.

 Are York Region's Forests open?

Yes. The Regional Municipality of York re-opened public access to the York Regional Forest with stricter guidelines for all users.

The following guidelines are in place for all users at the York Regional Forest and its 21 public forest tracts:

  • All dogs must be leashed and under control at all times (the off-leash dog area at Bendor and Graves Forest Tract both remain closed until further notice)
  • Practice physical distancing of at least two metres between yourself and other forest users, both on the tracts and in common parking areas
  • Do not litter, including garbage, personal protective equipment and pet waste
  • Please be kind and act responsibly

Bylaw and Animal Services

 What Bylaw Services are available to the public?

By-law Officers have resumed regular duties and will be responding to service requests on a priority basis.  Concerns relating to health and safety will be investigated prior to non-health and safety concerns.

  • Town wide parking restrictions have been reinstated as of June 8/2020.
  • Business License renewals have resumed.
  • Sign permits are required for any new mobile sign installations
  • Park permits are required for any organizations or large groups utilizing Town sports fields and facilities.

In accordance with the Provincial Emergency Management & Civil Protection Act, portions of the Noise By-law have been suspended by the province:

  1. Construction Noise is permitted 7 days a week between 6 10 p.m.
  2. Commercial & Industrial Deliveries and pickups are permitted 24 hours per day to ensure businesses remain fully stocked and our supply chain remains intact.

By-law Services would like to remind residents of the current restrictions set out by the Province of Ontario relating to gatherings:

  • Indoor gatherings of any kind are restricted to a maximum of 5 people
  • Exterior gatherings are restricted to a maximum of 25 people
  • Residents are encouraged to continue practicing safe social distancing and frequent hand washing

Face coverings are required when entering any indoor facility, including condominium common areas unless a medical condition prevents its use.

 What Animal Services are available to the public?

Animal Services will respond to all service requests with Health & Safety concerns taking priority. Please contact Animal Services at 1-877-979-7297 (PAWS)

  • Be diligent in practicing social distancing with one another and pets. This means not having play dates or off-leash romps with dogs from other households or interacting with someone else's dog while on a walk
  • Keep your cats inside and remember to keep your dogs leashed at all times when outside
  • In person sales of dog licences are currently not available. If you’d like to purchase, replace or renew a licence, visit DocuPet or contact them over the phone at 1-855-249-1370
  • The Georgina Animal Shelter and Adoption Centre remains closed to the public and will not be accepting any animals for surrender

The Georgina Animal Shelter is also currently not accepting stray cats due to overflow. As such, all found contained cats would need to be released back outside. However, if the finders take a photo and provide it to Animal Services, they will share it.

Is the Georgina Animal Shelter Open?

No. The Georgina Animal Shelter is closed to the public. If you have lost your pet you can contact Animal Services at 1-877-979-7297 (PAWS). If you pet is found and taken to the Georgina Animal Shelter you will need to contact the shelter to make arrangements to schedule an appointment to pick-up your pet.

Waste and Recycling Services

Will my waste and recycling service be affected?

No. At this time, all waste and recycling services will not be affected. Green for Life Environmental has closed access to their public office until further notice.

How can I obtain a yellow Yard Waste Sticker?

If you require a yard waste sticker please call the Town at 905-727-1375 or email 

How do I replace my broken Blue or Green bin?

If your Town of Aurora green bin or blue recycling bin is damaged, please contact Green for Life (GFL) at 1-866-421-5625 to schedule to have the replacement bins delivered to your home.

How can I purchase a new Blue or Green Bin?

Please contact Access Aurora at 905-727-1375 to order a new blue or green bin. 
I just moved to Aurora, how can I get a set of recycling bins?
Please contact Access Aurora at 905-727-1375 to obtain a set of bins.
How can I dispose of latex gloves and face masks?
When disposing of gloves and masks, please place these items in a tightly tied plastic garbage bag, not in the blue box and not on the ground. Please do not litter.
Can I still donate to the Textile Recycling Program?

Diabetes Canada and Cornerstone to Recovery have resumed operations at all 7 textile bins located on Town property. Please do not leave items outside the bins. If the bin is full, please go to another location or hold onto them until it has been serviced.  The bins will be serviced weekly until further notice. 

Planning and Building Services

 How do I apply to extend my Restaurant or Bar's patio?
For restaurants and bars who are interested in extending their patio space, the Town of Aurora requires the business to submit a Site Plan Exemption Application that includes a scaled plan showing the location of buildings, location and dimensions of the patio, fencing, entrances, exits and aisle widths. All applications are required to comply with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Fire Code.


Some highlights from Aurora’s Outdoor Patio Program include:

• All site plan application fees will be waived

• Application fees for minor variances for patio expansions will be waived

• Restaurants and bars that would like to expand or create patio space onto the sidewalk will have to enter into an encroachment agreement with the Town and must maintain accessibility requirements.

The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) will not require licensees to apply or pay a fee for these temporary extensions but the retailer must ensure they have completed the Town’s application form, received approval by the Town and met all other applicable requirements.
The AGCO measures will be in effect until January 1, 2021.

For inquiries about Aurora’s Outdoor Patio Program, please email

Can I still apply for or pickup an existing Planning Application?

As of September 7, 2020, the Planning Division, is now accepting appointments for Applicants to come in to have their Planning Applications Commissioned on Mondays; Wednesdays and every alternate Friday


Planning and Development Services is accepting new applications this includes intake of permits, building/engineering plans, and all development planning applications (For example, Official Plan Amendments, Zoning By-Law Amendments, Plans of Subdivision, Site Plans, Condo Plans, and Committee of Adjustment applications.) The pick-up and drop-off area is located at the North-East corner of the back entrance of Aurora Town Hall. There will also be a box for anyone having to pick-up material with pre-arranged instructions provided. For more information on Planning or Engineering related matters, please call 905-727-3123 ext. 4226 or click to email planning or engineering. For Building related matters, please call 905-727-2123 ext. 4388 or click to email building. 

Planning and Development Services Application Pick-up/Drop-off


For more information on Planning or Engineering related matters, please call 905-727-3123 ext. 4226 or click to email planning or engineering.

For Building related matters, please call 905-727-3123 ext. 4388 or email building.

Physical distancing

What is physical distancing?
COVID-19 is known to spread from person to person. The only way to limit the spread of COVID-19 is to practice safe physical distancing. To reduce the spread, it is recommended that everyone:
  • Stay home as much as possible
  • Practice physical distancing (stay 2 metres/6 feet away from others)
  • Limit the need to leave your home. Only go outside for essential (grocery, work, exercise etc.
  • Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly and often
  • Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands
 Who can I contact if I witness social gatherings?
If you witness social gatherings please send an email with the date, time, and location to or leave a voicemail with the information at 905-727-3123 ext. 4240. All complaints will be investigated, however it would be preferred if the complainant left a telephone number and name in the event that a follow-up is required.

Members of Council and Public Meetings

 How do I get in touch with the Mayor and Members of Council?
The Mayor and Council are dedicated to serving the residents and businesses of The Town of Aurora. Contact information for Members of Council can be found here.
 Are Public and Council meetings cancelled?

Effective October 19, 2020 - Aurora Council and Committee meetings will be held electronically. Virtual meetings* will be in effect while York Region remains in Modified Stage 2 COVID-19 restrictions enacted by the Province and effective as of October 19, 2020.

*All meetings will be held electronically as per Section 19. i) of the Town’s Procedure By-law No. 6228-19, as amended, due to the COVID-19 situation.

To view the livestream meeting visit our agendas and minutes page.

General Inquiries

 What does it mean to declare a state of emergency in a municipality?
The Mayor can declare an emergency that exists in the municipality to protect property, health, safety and welfare of the community. By declaring a state of emergency this allows local, regional and provincial governments to access specific resources as needed and deal with the crisis at hand.

At this stage the declaration of emergency has no financial implications. Should special funding become available the declaration allows us to react quickly to allocate funds.

 Are essential services affected?
Essential services such as water, wastewater, roads and solid waste collection services are not  affected.
Where can I get tested for COVID-19?
Please visit our COVID-19 Assessment Centre Page for a list of assessment centre locations and information.
 How can I contact the Town?

General inquiries can be directed to Access Aurora at 905-727-1375 or email Access Aurora.  Additional department contacts can be found below.

Access Aurora
Tel: 905-727-1375

Bylaw Services

Community & Recreation Services
For recreation customer service, program registration, memberships: 
For facility rental inquiries: 
For facility advertising & sponsorships:

Corporate Communications

Human Resources

Operational Services
Tree permits: 
Water meters: 
Bulk water requests: 
Road occupancy permits: 
Garbage inquiries:

Planning & Development Services

Planning Inquiries
Tel: 905-727-3123 ext. 4226
Fax: 905-726-4730

Building Inquiries
Tel: 905-727-3123 ext. 4388
Fax: 905-726-4731

Engineering Inquiries
Tel: 905-727-3123 ext. 4373 or 4226
Fax: 905-841-7119

 How is the Town of Aurora keeping residents informed?
 The Town will notify the public of future cancellations, openings and updates through:
  • Website at
  • Social media channels
  • Aurora Matters Newsletter
  • Aurora's Town Notice Board (published bi-weekly in The Auroran

For up-to-date information about COVID-19 Visit the York Region website for information and resources on COVID-19 or call Health Connection at 1-800-361-5653. Learn about how the Ontario Ministry of Health is preparing for COVID-19 in Ontario.