*New for the 2018 Municipal Electon - Registered Third Parties*

Legislative changes to the Municipal Elections Act have introduced registered third parties to municipal and school board elections. Registered third parties are individuals, corporations or trade unions which register with the Town Clerk for the purposes of conducting advertising promoting, supporting or opposing a candidate(s) for office at the municipal or school board level.

What is a Third Party Advertisement?

A third party advertisement is a message in any medium (billboard, newspaper, radio, etc.) that supports or opposes a candidate or a “yes” or “no” vote on a question on the ballot.  Third party advertising does not include issues-based advertising so groups that do public outreach can continue their issued-based advocacy work throughout the municipal election period. 

Advertising that does not cost money to post or broadcast, such as comments made on social media, will not be considered to be third party advertising.

Who Can Register as a Third Party Advertiser?

Individuals, corporations and unions can register as third party advertisers and can also make contributions to third party advertisers. Third party advertisers will need to register with the municipality where they want to advertise. If they want to advertise in more than one municipality, they have to register in each municipality.

Registration allows a third party advertiser to promote or oppose any candidate that the electors in the municipality can vote for (local council, school board trustee positions and regional or county council offices). 

Third party advertising must be done independently of candidates, who are not able to direct a third party advertiser. Candidates are not able to register as third party advertisers. 

Third Party Advertiser Resources

A to Z Services: