The Town of Aurora has recently been made aware of door-to-door salespeople misrepresenting Aurora staff for the purposes of selling services (i.e. water filters, water heaters).
The Town of Aurora does not conduct door-to-door sales. The Town will only contact residents on a previous inquiry or to follow-up on a previously scheduled appointment.
If you suspect fraud please contact the York Regional Police's non-emergency line at 1-866-876-5423. If you feel threatened, call 911.
The following are some tactics used by door-to-door sales people in Aurora when visiting residents.
- Identifying themselves as Town of Aurora or Government Employees and providing identification/ license of some sort.
- Asking to enter your home to check utilities or to test your water.
- Advising that the water in your community is contaminated with high levels of copper or chlorine.
- Offering options on Government rebate programs through the installation of a series of water filters.
If Town of Aurora staff visit your home for various reasons, they will have proper Town of Aurora identification and typically be in an official Town of Aurora vehicle.
As of March 1, 2018, certain door-to-door sales have been banned in Ontario. The ban covers the sale of:
- air conditioners
- air cleaners
- air purifiers
- water heaters
- water treatment devices
- water purifiers
- water filters
- water softeners
- duct cleaning services
- any good or service that performs or combines one or more of the above functions
For more information on door-to-door sales and home service contracts, visit: https://www.ontario.ca/page/door-door-sales-and-home-service-contracts?_ga=2.19746555.2140812135.1541452844-1435082340.1523485253