Election signs in Aurora can be erected starting on September 24 after 10 a.m.
With the municipal election approaching, the Town of Aurora is advising candidates and residents about the rules that apply to election signs.
The following regulations apply to all election signs in Aurora:
• Damaging, defacing or unlawfully removing election signs can lead to charges under the criminal code.
• A maximum of one election sign per candidate is allowed on any one private lot or premises.
• Election signs cannot obstruct pedestrian and vehicle sight lines.
• Election signs are not permitted on Town-owned lands, with the exception that each candidate is allowed to erect a maximum of two election signs on each intersection listed in Schedule C of the Sign By-Law Number 5840-16, with not more than one election sign per each corner of the designated intersections.
• Election signs are not permitted on medians, roundabouts, traffic circles, and traffic islands.
• Election signs may not exceed 1.49 sq. metres in sign area or have any dimension of the sign face exceeding 1.22 metres.
• Election signs cannot be in contravention of the Canada Elections Act, Election Act and the Municipal Elections Act.
• Candidates must remove all election signs by 9 p.m. on Thursday, October 25.
• York Region has sign placement fees and restrictions on regional roads and regional intersections. Regional placement rules also apply to Town-owned streets that intersect with a regional road i.e. Wellington Street and John West Way. Refer to york.ca for more information on the York Region Sign By-law No.2015-36.
Election signs found in violation of Aurora’s Sign By-law Number 5840-16 are subject to seizure by the Town and will be subject to a $20 retrieval fee.
The signs will be stored for up to 30 days after Election Day.
Unclaimed signs will be disposed of without notice or compensation.
Sign violations can be reported by calling Bylaw Services at 905-727-3123 ext. 4240 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on Aurora’s Sign By-law Number 5840-16 visit aurora.ca/bylaws.