The Town of Aurora is a Platinum Youth Friendly Community
The Town of Aurora continues to thrive with its
latest achievement – designation as a Youth Friendly Community. Aurora
is now recognized as a Platinum Youth Friendly Community, joining an elite list
of municipalities committed to serving its youth aged 13 to 19.
The Youth Friendly Community
Recognition Program of Play Works acknowledges communities that have invested
in various opportunities for youth in recreation, sports, arts, drama, dance,
volunteerism and leadership development. Youth Friendly Communities must meet
several criteria that demonstrate a strong commitment to engaging youth between
the ages of 13 to 19.
To achieve platinum status,
communities must recognize that adolescent youth have different needs for play
than children or adults do and intentionally develop, fund and sustain programs
and services to meet youth needs.
Play Works is a group of
organizations concerned about the future of youth and focuses on bringing back
the power of play to youth in Ontario. The Youth Friendly Community Recognition
Program recognizes communities across Ontario that meet the changing needs of
Aurora previously received the Play Works Silver Youth Friendly
designation in 2016. The criteria to achieve a platinum designation stems from
connecting and empowering youth to express themselves and have a continuous
voice in the community. Thanks to the support of our local, youth-serving
organizations, schools, and school boards, the Town was pleased to be
recognized as part of the 2019 program.
For more information, please call Julie Stephenson, Youth Programmer at
905-727-3123 ext. 3128 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Engagement Committee (Y.E.C.)
The Youth Engagement Committee (Y.E.C.) is a group of youth aged 12 to 17 years who serve to guide and advise Youth Staff on appropriate programs, special events, and services for youth in the Town of Aurora.
The committee works with the Town to address any related current trends and issues and engage all youth in this process through a variety of ways and means.
Some of the committee's roles and responsibilities are:
- Engage youth within the community.
- Encourage active participation at the Youth Centre.
- Serve as a liaison between youth in the community and Town staff.
- Explore potential sponsorship opportunities.
- Assist in developing programs, services, and special events for youth.
The Y.E.C. meets bi-weekly to weigh-in on community issues, promote community services, and host community events/fundraisers. During the 2017-2018 term, the group took on 11 new members of young community activists that were keen to be a voice for Youth interests. Some of the ways the Y.E.C. has contributed to the community are:
- Naming and assisting in the design of the Youth Centre.
- Assisting in the 2016 Youth Friendly Communities application, which earned a Silver designation.
- Promoting youth events and opportunities in the community.
- Developing and running youth events such as The Quizlympics Trivia Contest, Youth Week, and an Open Mic Night.
Open Meetings – Each meeting on the 4th week of the month is
open to all youth ages 12 to 17. Teens are encouraged to attend open meetings
to hear about what’s happening, voice their opinion, and get engaged!
The application period for 2019/2020 term is now closed. Applications for the 2020-2021 Committee will open on May 1, 2020. If you or someone you know would like to get involved with the Youth Engagement Committee, please contact email@example.com. To become a member, you must:
- Be an Aurora resident between the ages of 12 to 17 years or attending school in Aurora.
- Complete and submit a Y.E.C. member application form.
- Complete and submit a letter of interest.
- Submit a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check at the start of the Committee term in September.
- Complete a successful interview for the position.
For more information or to bring something forward to the Y.E.C., please call Julie Stephenson (Youth Programmer) at 905-727-3123 ext. 3128 or email firstname.lastname@example.org