The Town of Aurora is a designated Youth Friendly Community
The Town of Aurora continues to thrive as it is recognized with its latest achievement
- Youth Friendly Community. Aurora is now hailed as a Silver Youth
Friendly Community, joining an elite list of municipalities committed to
serving its youth aged 13 to 19. The Youth Friendly Recognition
Program works to acknowledge the great work that some communities are doing in
ensuring their youth have continuous access to a diversity of
'play'. Thanks to the support of our local, youth-serving, organizations,
the Town was able to submit a successful application and receive the award.
For more information, please call Julie Stephenson, Youth Programmer at
905-727-3123 ext. 3128 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Engagement Committee (Y.E.C.)
The Youth Engagement Committee (Y.E.C.) is a group of youth aged 12 to 17 years who serve to guide and advise Youth Staff on appropriate programs, special events, and services for youth in the Town of Aurora. The committee works with the Town to address any related current trends and issues and engage all youth in this process through a variety of ways and means. Some of the committee's roles and responsibilities are:
- Engage youth within the community.
- Encourage active participation at the Youth Centre.
- Serve as a liaison between youth in the community and Town staff.
- Explore potential sponsorship opportunities.
- Assist in developing programs, services, and special events for youth.
The Y.E.C. meets bi-weekly to weigh-in on community issues, promote community services, and host community events/fundraisers. During the 2017-2018 term, the group took on 11 new members of young community activists that were keen to be a voice for Youth interests. Some of the ways the Y.E.C. has contributed to the community are:
- Naming and assisting in the design of the Youth Centre.
- Assisting in the 2016 Youth Friendly Communities application, which earned a Silver designation.
- Promoting youth events and opportunities in the community.
- Developing and running youth events such as The Quizlympics Trivia Contest, Youth Week, and an Open Mic Night.
Open Meetings – Each meeting on the 4th week of the month is
open to all youth ages 12 to 17. Teens are encouraged to attend open meetings
to hear about what’s happening, voice their opinion, and get engaged!
YEC Open Meeting Schedule 2018-2019
The application period for 2018/2019 term is now closed. Applications for the 2019-2020 Committee will open on May 1, 2018. If you or someone you know would like to get involved with the Youth Engagement Committee, please contact email@example.com. To become a member, you must:
- Be an Aurora resident between the ages of 12 to 17 years or attending school in Aurora.
- Complete and submit a Y.E.C. member application form.
- Complete and submit a letter of interest.
- Submit a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check at the start of the Committee term in September.
- Complete a successful interview for the position.
2019-2020 YEC Application Form
For more information or to bring something forward to the Y.E.C., please call Julie Stephenson (Youth Programmer) at 905-727-3123 ext. 3128 or email firstname.lastname@example.org