Community Recognition Awards
Thank you for the
community for taking the time to send in nominations recognizing those that
contribute to making Aurora a wonderful community.
The winners will be
recognized at the Community Recognition Awards ceremony on Monday, May 27. This ceremony will be live streamed.
2018 Citizen of the Year – Josie Kearney
Congratulations to Josie Kearney who is a student
at Dr. G. W. Williams Secondary School and is a leader who wants to change the
Volunteer Service Award (5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40)
This award is presented to a citizen up to the age of 19, who, through their volunteer efforts, has made a significant contribution to the community and has demonstrated their commitment to being a positive leader today and in the future. (Presented at the organizations AGM)
- Nomination form must be accompanied by a letter of reference verifying the years of continuous service.
Youth Volunteer Award
This award is presented to a citizen up to the age of 19, who, through their volunteer efforts, has made a significant contribution to the community and has demonstrated their commitment to being a positive leader today and in the future;.
- Nominee must be 19 years of age or younger and have volunteered on behalf of or within the Town of Aurora for at least two (2) years.
- Nominees will not be considered for this award if their nomination involved earning hours for their Community Service Requirement or for fulfilling duties of their employment.
Honouring an individual, business or community organization that supports the protection, preservation, sustainability or conservation of our natural environment, this award celebrates those who share the Town’s commitment to creating a greener community.
Arts and Culture Award
Inspired by the Johnsons family, this award is presented to an individual or group that has enhanced our community through their support or promotion of culture, music, visual, performing, or the literary arts.
Community Leadership Award
This award is presented to an individual, youth, business, community organizations or not-for-profit organization that has significantly enhanced the Town through their contribution, commitment and leadership in the areas of charitable giving, civic engagement, community events or community spirit.
Good Neighbour Award
Inspired by Frank Camenzuli, this award is presented to someone who embodies what it means to be a good neighbour, this award recognizes and celebrates the simple acts of kindness and compassion that help create connected and vibrant neighbourhoods;
- Nominees will not be considered for this award if their nomination involved monetary compensation or fulfilling duties of their employment.
Good Business Award
This award is presented to a business that has shown its commitment to corporate responsibility and community involvement through its ongoing support of charitable causes, events or programs.
This award is presented to an individual, group or business which has contributed to making the Town of Aurora a more accessible and/or inclusive place to live, work and play for all people regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, or disability.
Community Safety Award
Presented to an individual dedicated to the development, promotion or support of initiatives that improve community safety, this award recognizes that safer communities only happen when individuals take action to make a difference.
Citizen of the Year Award
The Town of Aurora's Citizen of the Year Award is an annual award recognizing the exceptional contributions made by a local citizen to our community.
The Citizen of the Year Award has been awarded by the Town of Aurora since 1970. This individual is selected by the Office of the Mayor in consultation with a small group of dedicated community volunteers. The award recipient has demonstrated all-round community involvement rather than specific activity or contribution.
- Nominee must be a citizen of the Town of Aurora who is at least 16 years of age, excluding elected Members of Council or employees of the Town of Aurora.
- Nominations may be made by an individual citizen, a group of citizens, and/or a Town organization
- Nomination form must be accompanied by at least one (1) letter of no more than two (2) pages, detailing the recent or ongoing activities or contributions of the nominee in the Town of Aurora. These activities should demonstrate all-round community involvement rather than a specific activity or contribution.
- Independent letters of support are encouraged.
Special consideration may be given to nominees younger than 16 years of age, if the evaluation group deems such a nomination applicable and the nominee meets all other criteria.
For more information about the Community Recognition Awards, please contact the Special Events Division at 905-726-4762 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for this year's sponsors!