The Town of Aurora provides access to records through the Freedom of Information process outlined by the province's
Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA/Act).
The Act contributes to the transparency of government while ensuring individual rights to privacy.
How to Submit a Request for Records
- Fill out the
Application for Access / Correction to Records
- Write a $5 cheque, payable to
The Corporation of the Town of Aurora. If paying at Town Hall we also accept cash and debit.
- Mail or deliver the completed form and cheque to:
100 John West Way, Box 100
- We will process your payment and send an acknowledgment letter confirming that the process has begun.
- Staff will review the request to retrieve all related records
- Within 30 calendar days you will receive a written decision about records matching the request (responsive records). This will include the cost to reproduce the records and an index of responsive records.
- Once payment is received, staff will send the responsive records to you and conclude the request.
Please note: In some cases additional time is required to investigate and fulfil the request. In such cases, this requirement will be communicated.
Some records are exempt from release. Common exemptions include: information received in confidence by other governments, third parties or solicitors; drafts of records in progress; records about individuals.
You may only request access to your own personal information, or have written consent to access the personal information of another individual.
The following fees apply to requests for information:
|Application Fee||$5||To be paid when you submit your request|
|Search Time||$7.50||1/4 hour required to search and retrieve|
|Record Preparation||$7.50||1/4 hour required to prepare records and |
|Computer programming||$15||1/4 needed to develop a program to retrieve information|
Please note: if the fee exceeds $100.00, a notification and estimate will be sent and a 50% deposit will be required.
Appealing a Decision
If you decide to appeal a decision to the Information and Privacy Commissioner, please provide the Commissioner's office with:
- The number assigned to the request;
- A copy of the decision letter; and
- A copy of the original request sent to the Town of Aurora.
Appeals to the Commissioner must also be accompanied by the appropriate fee. Fees vary according to the nature of the request being appealed as follows:
- $25, if the person appealing has made a request for access to general records under subsection 17(1)
- $10, if the person appealing has made a request for access to personal information under subsection 34(1); and
- $10, if the person appealing has made a request for correction of personal information under subsection 36(2).