Are you considering running for municipal office?
The 2018 Municipal Election in the Town of Aurora will be held on Monday, October 22, 2018. Eligible candidates can apply for the following positions.
- Trustee - York Region District School Board
- Trustee - York Catholic District School Board
- Conseillers/Conseillères scolaires – le Conseil scolaire Viamonde
- Conseillers / Conseillères scolaires – le Conseil scolaire de district catholique Centre-Sud
2018 Nomination Information
The nomination period for the 2018 Municipal Elections begins on Tuesday, May 1, 2018 and ends on Friday, July 27, 2018 at 2 p.m. To be considered a candidate for the 2018 Municipal Election, you must file a nomination paper.
Please note the following:
- Candidates cannot raise or spend money on their campaign until they file a nomination paper
- Candidates for Mayor and Councillor must provide at least 25 declarations of endorsements from qualified electors along with their nomination papers
Qualifications for Mayor or Member of Council
In order to run for office in the Town of Aurora, an individual must be:
A Canadian citizen; and,
At least 18 years of age; and,
A resident of the Town of Aurora, or
An owner or tenant of land in the Town of Aurora, or the spouse of the owner or tenant; and
Not legally prohibited from voting; and
Not disqualified by any legislation from holding office
Who is not eligible to be a Council Candidate?
The following are ineligible to be elected as a Member of Council, or from holding office as a Member of Council:
A judge of any court
A member of the Provincial Legislature, the Federal House of Commons or Senate who has not resigned from their office by the close of nominations
A candidate who failed to file the required financial statement in the last municipal election or by-election
Nomination Form Procedure
Nomination forms must be filed in-person as original signatures are required. To file a nomination, you must provide the following:
A completed nomination form
At least 25 declaration of endorsements (Mayor and Council candidates only)
Up-to-date acceptable identification
Nomination filing fee - $200 for Mayor and $100 for Councillor
If any documents are not complete they will not be accepted. The nomination period begins on May 1, 2018 and ends on July 27, 2018 at 2 p.m.