The Town of Aurora is a designated Youth Friendly Community
The Town of Aurora continues to thrive as it is recognized with its latest achievement
- Youth Friendly Community. Aurora is now hailed as a Silver Youth
Friendly Community, joining an elite list of municipalities committed to
serving its youth aged 13 to 19. The Youth Friendly Recognition
Program works to acknowledge the great work that some communities are doing in
ensuring their youth have continuous access to a diversity of
'play'. Thanks to the support of our local, youth-serving, organizations,
the Town was able to submit a successful application and receive the award.
For more information, please call Julie Stephenson, Youth Programmer at
905-727-3123 ext. 3128 or email email@example.com
Youth Engagement Committee (Y.E.C.)
The Youth Engagement Committee (Y.E.C.) is a group of youth aged 12 to 17 years who serve to guide and advise Youth Staff on appropriate programs, special events, and services for youth in the Town of Aurora. The committee works with the Town to address any related current trends and issues and engage all youth in this process through a variety of ways and means. Some of the committee's roles and responsibilities are:
- Engage youth within the community.
- Encourage active participation at the Youth Centre.
- Serve as a liaison between youth in the community and Town staff.
- Explore potential sponsorship opportunities.
- Assist in developing programs, services, and special events for youth.
The Y.E.C. meets bi-weekly to weigh-in on community issues, promote community services, and host community events/fundraisers. During the 2016-2018 term, the group took on 9 new members of young community activists that were keen to be a voice for Youth interests. Some of the ways the Y.E.C. has contributed to the community are:
- Naming and assisting in the design of the Youth Centre.
- Assisting in the 2016 Youth Friendly Communities application, which earned a Silver designation.
- Promoting youth events and opportunities in the community.
- Consulting and participating in the first annual Junior Chef Competition on Family Day.
If you or someone you know would like to get involved with the Youth Engagement Committee, recruitment for the 2017/2018 season will open on May 1, 2017. To become a member, you must:
- Be an Aurora resident between the ages of 12 to 17 years.
- Complete and submit a Y.E.C. member application form.
- Complete and submit a letter of interest.
- Submit a satisfactory Policy Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Complete a successful interview for the position.
New for 2017-2018 - The committee should have at least one Junior (ages 12 to 13 years), one Intermediate ( ages 14 to 15 years), and one Senior (ages 16 to 17 years) youth representative per term.
Y.E.C. Member Application Form
The deadline for 2017-2018 applications is August 31, 2017. Completed applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at the following address:
Aurora Family Leisure Complex
135 Industrial Parkway North
Aurora, ON L4G 4C4
ATTENTION: YOUTH PROGRAMMER
For more information or to bring something forward to the Y.E.C., please call Julie Stephenson (Youth Programmer) at 905-727-3123 ext. 3128 or email email@example.com