Aurora's Youth Innovation Fair
In celebration of Canada's 150, The Town of Aurora hosted Aurora’s
Youth Innovation Fair. Proudly sponsored by State Farm Insurance and the Rotary
Club of Aurora, the fair featured a wide variety of innovative ideas and
inventions created by youth. It was an exciting opportunity for youth to engage
in innovation and share their ideas to tackle real-world issues.
The fair, held on November 15, 2017, offered the community a chance to
experience the ideas of over 60 youth. Community and industry judges reviewed over
30 projects and selected category winners for each age group.
Junior Category – Ages 9 to 11
- Most Innovative: Thomas Bianco – Toothpaste Dispensing Toothbrush
- Honorable Mention - Community Leadership: Holly McClelland – Energy Use App
- Honorable Mention - Eco-Friendly: Claire French – Solar Powered Boat
Intermediate Category – Ages 12 to 14
- Most Innovative: David Simmons – Untippable, Unspillable Bowl
- Honorable Mention - Community Leadership: Ada Li and Christine Xue - Education App
Honorable Mention - Eco-Friendly: Dylan Ireland, Brendan Ireland, Rik Bidani, Luke Ivic, Kenny Huang, Eric Xia, Matthew Comsa, Charley Leite, Dennis Barabanov – Rainwater Harvest
Senior Category – Ages 15 to 17
- Most Innovative: Sebastian Villate, James Andrade and Sammy Emamian (Classy Cyborgs) – Braille The Treasure Box Braille Learning System
- Honorable Mention - Community Leadership: Sharon Trac – 3D Tiny House
- Honorable Mention - Eco-Friendly: Serena and Saajan Sethi – Instaheat
Thank you to the judges: Mayor Geoffrey Dawe, Wendy Browne from the Rotary
Club of Aurora, Richard Gong from State Farm, and Aurora’s Citizen of the Year,
Peter Van Schaik. Thank you to our event sponsors: Rotary
Club of Aurora and State Farm Insurance. Thank you to the sponsors who generously provided content for the gift
bags for all of our youth participants. Contents of these bags were generously provided
by: Kids Great Minds, Mad Science, and STEM Minds.
For more information, please contact the Youth Programmer at email@example.com or call
905-727-3123 ext. 3128.
Special thanks to our generous sponsors:
Aurora’s Teen Idol
Are you between the ages of 12 and 17 and a resident of Aurora? Then you could be Aurora’s next Teen Idol. This annual competition is a great opportunity for budding artists.
For the audition round, each participant will prepare one song which they will perform in front of three judges. They can choose any song of their choice. The auditions will be taking place in June of each year. When you register to participate, more details, including the audition location will be sent to you.
The judges will be choosing eight semi-finalists which will perform one more time on Canada Day in Lambert Willson Park. Not only will these eight semi-finalists get to perform on the Canada Day stage, but each semi-finalist will also be invited to perform the national anthem at the beginning of one of the Concerts in the Park during the summer.