The Town of Aurora offers integration services to help meet the needs of participants of all abilities.
The Town of Aurora welcomes participants of all
ages and abilities to join our camp or program opportunities. In order to
facilitate opportunities for persons with an exceptionality, we will work
closely with the parent/ guardian/caregiver to pursue the ideal camp or program
collaboratively. If the participant needs additional support, we will work
together to find a suitable solution through external resources, staffing or
A person requires integration services if:
- They benefit from extra support in the classroom at school or at home.
- A physical, medical, developmental and/or learning disability exists that affects the safety of the other participants.
- Extra support is needed at home for basic care such as dressing and toileting.
- The individual is currently associated with a support agency or program.
- There are behaviours to be managed (ie. biting, scratching, pinching etc.).
Families/Guardians/Caregivers are required to
complete an "Intake Form" to help staff with any program adaptations. When
considering a recreation experience, please consider the individual needs, and
that the recreation integrated setting may not be suitable for all persons with
disabilities. Health and Safety of participants and staff is paramount, which
could result in participants being denied access to the program.
How do I register for integration services?
- Select a program/camp the individual would like to participate in from our current Parks, Recreation & Culture Program Guide.
- Contact our Community Programmer to discuss your registration plans and support options by phone at 905-727-3123 ext. 3121 or by email to email@example.com
Complete a participant "Intake Form" that is to be reviewed by the Community Programmer to determine what kind of support is required in order for the participant to be successful in the integrated, recreational setting (example: volunteer support (Leisure Buddy), Town staff support (additional hourly costs apply) or external support (required at own cost)).
- Register for your program.
- The Community Programmer will confirm your support requirements prior to the start of the program and camp chosen.
Please note: We will do our best to provide your child with the support they require; however, it is not guaranteed that we will be able to secure a Leisure Buddy Volunteer, Integration Counsellor or staff for the specific program or camp that you have requested.
The Town of Aurora aquatics division is committed to promoting the dignity, independence and potential of persons with disabilities, through individualized instruction and integrated learn to swim programs. Our learn to swim program is taught by qualified Red Cross Water Safety Instructors who have volunteered and have past experience working with participants with disabilities.
A 30 minute class is offered at both the Aurora Family Leisure Complex and the Stronach Aurora Recreation Complex pool. Class ratio is 1:1 and cost $10.40 per class.
For enquiries, please contact Matt Zawada (Deck Supervisor) by phone at 905-727-3123 ext. 3119 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to better accommodate our regular customers attending with a Mediator, we now have Mediator Cards. Individuals in need of support to participate in our drop-in programs such as recreational swimming or Aquafitness can take advantage of this card.
If the mediator's purpose for attending is to support a customer with a disability, the mediator is able to attend at no-charge. The Mediator Card is to assist and streamline the admission process and belongs to the customer with a disability requiring support.
For enquires regarding the Mediator Card, please contact Terri Edwards, Aquatics Coordinator by phone at 905-727-3123 ext. 3123 or by email at email@example.com
Club Aurora Fitness Centre
Want to work out? The Aurora Family Leisure Complex offers free weights that incorporate upper body strength, muscle development and cardiovascular conditioning from the comfort of your wheelchair.
For Club Aurora enquiries, please contact the fitness centre at 905-726-4764.